The last in the blood sugar level series. By now you know how different foods can affect our blood sugar, what happens when its high and how your blood sugar can affect our stress levels and our health.
This week I am going to focus on how you can keep your blood sugar stable – naturally.
1. Water – by drinking water not only are you keeping hydrated but you are flushing excess sugar out of your system out into your urine. Water helps re-hydrate the blood, lowers blood sugar levels and can reduce the risk of diabetes
2. Regular movement - if you are moving regularly you have more of a chance to maintain a moderate weight which will increase your insulin sensitivity so your cells are more able to use the available sugar in you bloodstream and it really helps your muscles use your blood sugar for energy and muscle contraction.
3. Stress management – when you’re stressed your hormones naturally cause you blood sugar level to rise so your energy levels are boosted to aid fight or flight. Long term stress can aid weight gain and lead to type two diabetes. Find ways to reduce this stress such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, relaxing music or taking a bath.
4. Sleep – If you are not getting a regular good night’s sleep of at least 7 hours then the lack of sleep can have a big impact on your body's ability to regulate insulin and glucose and can even increase your weight. So start going to bed earlier and make changes to your bedroom to make sure you get enough sleep every night, for instance, turn off you phone at least an hour before bed, make sure your bedroom is cool, not cold and maybe invest in blackout curtains.
5. Nicotine intake – cigarettes and e-cigarette both contain a high amount of nicotine which contains compounds that really interfere with your bodies ability to regulate it’s insulin, which will take into account the want for sugary or high carb foods when giving up smoking. Stick with is as the long you go without nicotine the easier the regulation of your insulin becomes.
So with a stable blood sugar level you will have a lower stress level, better nights sleep, higher natural energy, less headaches, better focus, improved skin, improved brain function and a reduced risk of degenerative diseases. What is there not to love about giving your body the food it needs rather than the food your head thinks it wants, take my advice to keep your blood sugar level and you are on the path to a happier healthier life AND on the right path to emotional eating freedom.